Serving Memphis, Cordova, Germantown & Collierville TN
Termites are very tiny but responsible for billions of dollars in damage a year to wooden structures like homes and businesses. These small pests can infiltrate your residence or business and eat the wooden studs located in the walls, munch on stored paper products, or chow down on cotton fibers. Your professional pest control company in Memphis, AAA Termite and Pest Control is sharing how to identify termites, so you know when it is time to contact the exterminator.
What does a termite look like?
The most common termite in the United States is the native subterranean termite, which are social insects found in dry wood. These pests typically have a quarter to three-eights of an inch long pale yellow-brown, or black body with four wings that are equal in size and can be a smoky gray or brown color. Colonies are formed in locations where cellulose-containing materials are found, such as those in wood or plant products.
What are some signs of a termite infestation?
Since termites live in areas that are difficult to see, such as inside walls or under flooring, it can be challenging for homeowners to determine if they have an infestation and need termite remediation in Cordova. However, there are a few signs to look out for around your home or office.
- Wood That Sounds Hollow – Since termites eat tunnels through the wood in your walls, ceilings, and floors, you may notice a hollow sound when you tap on these areas.
- Frass – Termite droppings are known as frass and are the same color as the wood. Droppings are found in areas where termites have been.
- Mud Tubes – Noticing mud tubes on exterior walls could be an indication you have an infestation. Termites do not like the sunlight and will create mud tubes to travel from one place to another to remain covered from the sun and protected from predators.
- Paint Cracks or Drywall Distortions – If you notice the paint cracking or drywall distortions when looking at your walls or ceilings, it may be a sign of an infestation.
How do I eliminate a termite infestation?
When you have a termite infestation in your home or business, it is not simple to remove them without help from the pros. Although an over-the-counter chemical may sound better because it is cheaper, it is not recommended. For the most effective results, contact a licensed pest management company in Memphis, AAA Termite and Pest Control. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), pest control professionals have the expertise, equipment, and knowledge to treat a termite infestation reducing risks to your health.
What can I do to help keep termites from invading my home or business?
To keep termites from entering, or re-entering your home, there are a few things you can do to prevent inviting conditions.
- Reduce Moisture Inside and Out – Standing water on the outside or inside of your home or business is an invitation for most pests. Immediately repair leaks from pipes, keep your foundation dry by using gutters and downspouts, and reduce humidity in areas like crawlspaces and basements.
- Seal Entrances to Your Home or Business – Access points can be as small as the side of a dime and appear around windows, doors, vents, and areas where utilities pass through cement walls. Fill the areas with cement, grout, or caulk to seal the area and prevent pests from entering.
- Remove Wood Piles – Since termites love to eat wood, a stack of firewood or other wood debris next to the foundation of your home or business could be a welcomed site for these pests. Therefore, stack your firewood or other debris away from your home to reduce the risk of a termite infestation.
- Establish Regular Maintenance – To have a termite-free home or business, it is recommended to have a certified pest control technician in Cordova from AAA Termite and Pest Control conduct routine inspections for termites. When termites are spotted again in the same place, or a new one, you will have the protection you need for the investment in your home or business.
Termite Pest Control in Cordova and Memphis in Tennessee
Termites can eat you out of house and home, or business. With billions of dollars in damage every year to wooden structures, it is time to protect your property. Contact AAA Termite and Pest Control for a termite inspection by calling (901) 737-7378 or visit our website. We also work with local realtors if your home buyers need a termite inspection letter.